George Golladay (Jr.)

Mississippi Light Artillery
Stanford's Company

Son of George Shall Golladay and Martha Harper

George was 17 years old and listed as a student when he enlisted. He was 5' 8" tall with fair complexion, blue eyes, and black hair. Stanford's Artillery Battery was organized at Grenada, Mississippi on 17 May 1861. George was on the company's first muster roll on 06 November 1861.

In 1862, Stanford's Artillery Battery fought in the battles of Shiloh, Corinth, and Perryville, Kentucky. At the end of the year, it was also engaged at the battle of Murfreesboro until 03 January 1863. It fought in battles at Chickamauga and Chattanooga in 1863. In 1864, the battery fought in the defense of Atlanta against General Sherman. In November 1864, George was sent to General Hospital.

During retreat at the Battle of Nashville in December of 1864, the battery had to abandon its artillery equipment. It was then ordered to Mobile, Alabama. After the capture of Confederate President Jefferson Davis, CSA Lt. General Richard Taylor agreed to surrender the troops under his command in the Department of Alabama, Mississippi, and East Louisiana to Union Major General E.R.S. Canby. George's battery was part of this prearranged surrender on 04 May 1865 at Citronelle, Alabama. George was paroled at Meridian, Mississippi on 10 May 1865.

After the war, George worked for a while as a clerk in the store of his brother-in-law George Lake. He later purchased a portion of land that had at one time been part of his father's plantation. He lived there until he died.

The following article tells of George's death:


Mr. George Golladay succumbs to Heart Failure

Last Saturday night Mr. George Golladay said a cheery good-night to friends in Grenada, and rode out to his place, three miles from town in his usual good health and spirits. Sunday morning he arose, enjoyed a hearty breakfast, and spent the morning hours in comfortable repose. In the afternoon his stalwart form was cold in death. Such is the uncertainty of human life.

It was about the noon hour on Sunday, December 19, 1897, that Mr. Golladay discovered a hog marauding his front yard, and immediately started to chase it out. He reached the yard and had run a short distance, when he fell prone upon the earth and expired without a word. Dr. J.W. Young was hastily summoned from town, but on arriving at the sad scene could but confirm the fact that Mr. Golladay was beyond all earthly aid, and that his death was caused from heart failure.

His remains were brought in to Grenada the following day and taken to the residence of his niece, Mrs. H.B. Barbee, from where the funeral occurred Tuesday afternoon.

- from the Grenada Sentinel

George was described as "genial in manner, warm in nature."

 Grave of George Golladay Jr.

CSA flag   Buried at: Odd Fellows Cemetery in Grenada, Mississippi   CSA flag

This page last updated on July 02, 2015